Standard Document Requirements
In order for a document to be accepted for recording it must conform to standard format requirements of
s. 59.43(2m). One may use a cover sheet and add title, return address (and PIN if required), to make the
document conform. Certified copies are exempt from s.59.43(2m) but a cover sheet may be needed to record
The standard requirements are as follows:
- The upper right hand 3”x3” corner of the document must be completely blank for our official
- The name and return address must be either (1) directly under the recording area, or (2)
on the left side of the page and within the top 3 inches.
- The parcel identifier number (PIN) must be placed directly under the return address. PIN must
be valid and not missing any digits.
- The title of the document must be within the top 3 inches of the page but not in the 3"x3" right
corner left blank for our recording stamp.
- The entire document must be legible and reproducible. s.59.43(2m)(b)(4).
- The paper is white, standard weight, and letter or legal-sized.
- All ink must be black or red. Signatures can be any color.
- The top margin is a minimum of 1/2 inch for every page. Other margins are minimum of 1/4 inch.
- The pages are not hinged or folded.
- Legal Description if the document refers to specific parcels of land.
- Original signatures notarized or authenticated, print notary’s name in black ink if not shown on
notary ink stamp. A valid notary expiration/commission date is required.
- Proper fees accompanying the document.
- Name of the document drafter must be clearly stated.
- Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return receipt (completed and with proper fee and/or exemption #) if
The entire document must be legible except for: (1) company logo, (2) the loan number in the case of a
mortgage, and (3) signatures need not be legible when the name is legibly printed in black next to the
signature, or in the case of a notary, the name is legible on their black seal. In the case of maps that
have been greatly reduced, a
may be used to direct the viewer to use for spatial information
only and to ignore the illegible text.