1. You may register your firm name with the Register of Deeds if your firm is a
2. If your firm is a corporation or limited partnership, you need to register it with the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) Corporations Section ((608) 261-7577), 4822 Madison Yards Way, North Tower, Madison WI 53705.
If your firm is a corporation and you wish to file a Trademark as per s.132.01, contact the Department of Financial Institutions (DFI). In addition, Trade Name documents (also termed, "Doing Business As") may be filed with the DFI and recorded with the local register of deeds as per 132.04.
3. For firm names to be registered in this office, use the registration of firm names form. The form may be printed from this web page. It must be completely filled out legibly, using black ink. Your signature must be notarized, so don't sign until you are witnessed by a notary public.
4. To make amendments to your firm, please fill out the Firm Amendment Form which can be found on the Wisconsin Register of Deed Association website. A direct link to the form can be found here.
5. To cancel your firm, please fill out the Firm cancellation Form which can be found on the Wisconsin Register of Deed Association website. A direct link to the form can be found here.
6. Before filling out the form, you must check to make sure no one else in Dane County is using your desired firm name.
• First of all, check the listings in the phone directory.
• Next, look in our real estate index either in this office or in "Tapestry". Just enter as much of the name as you can in the "last name" field. If there is an exact match you will be charged $5.95 for the search, but usually there is no match and so you are charged nothing.
• The last step is to check the Wisconsin Trademark system to see if the name has been used. If you still have questions, call (608) 266-8915 or email DFI-Trademark@wisconsin.gov
7. The fee for recording a firm name document is $30.
8. Your form must be filled out completely. Be sure to put your return address and document drafter on the form. Mail it to:
Register of Deeds
PO BOX 1438
Madison WI 53701-1438
along with a check for the recording fee.