Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Register of Deeds Office

Deeds (Instruments of Conveyance)

Legal instruments such as warranty deeds, quit claim deeds, etc., that convey title from one property owner to a new owner, are usually drafted by attorneys, or by paralegals and legal secretaries under the supervision of an attorney. 

Deed Forms

The forms used for various types of deeds are available at many office supply businesses, but call first to make certain they still carry the forms. Here is a link to various deed forms for the state of Wisconsin. You can also read our document definitions for deeds, or contact your attorney to determine the appropriate deed for your situation. The entire document must be legible and written in black ink so that the document will scan properly.

The following must be on the deed:

  • The grantor and grantee (seller and buyer) must be identified
  • The return address of the person who is to receive the deed after it has been recorded
  • The grantor's notarized signature and a legal description of the property being conveyed
  • The parcel identification number, found on the property tax bill, must be placed on the document under the return address

Only the original deed with original signatures may be recorded with the Register of Deeds-- not photocopies. The moment that a correctly prepared deed is handed from one owner to the next is the moment of actual conveyance.

Find information on updating your married name on a deed here.

Recording & Fee

It is wise to protect your interest by recording the deed with the Register of Deeds by sending your documents with corresponding fees to:

PO Box 1438
Madison, WI 53701-1438

The recording fee is $30.00 per document - cash or check made payable to Register of Deeds.

An Electronic Transfer return receipt must accompany all deeds in order for it to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds. The entirely filled out Transfer Return, the transfer fee calculation (if any) and the recording fee must accompany the deed when you submit it for recording. The transfer fee and recording fee can be combined on one check, made payable to Register of Deeds. See guidelines at the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website.

If you have any questions regarding filling out the deed form, contact your attorney.