Seal of Dane County County of Dane
Register of Deeds Office

Change Married Name on Deed

To change the deed so that it reflects your married name you are not required to take any action. When you go to sell the property, just indicate on the deed, for example: "Mary Smith, nka (now known as) Mary Jones hereby grants..."

If it is important to you to make this change, then it is best to seek the help of an attorney to draft a deed from yourself to yourself. Sometimes people who are knowledgeable about real estate matters draft their own Quit Claim Deed. The entire document must be legible and black ink must be used so that the document will scan properly. Instructions about instruments of conveyance can be found here. It is in your best interests to have the deed recorded. See recording fees on our recorded documents fee page.

The moment that a correctly prepared deed is handed from one owner to the next is the moment of actual conveyance. It is wise to protect your interest by recording the deed with the Register of Deeds at 210 Martin Luther King Blvd., Madison WI 53703. The recording fee is $30.00 per document - cash or check made payable to Register of Deeds.

An Electronic Transfer return receipt must accompany all deeds in order for it to be recorded in the office of the Register of Deeds. The Transfer Return must be filled out entirely, the fee to be paid (if any) calculated and the recording fee must accompany the deed when you submit it for recording. The transfer fee and recording fee can be combined on one check, made payable to Register of Deeds. See guidelines at the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website.