Birth, Death, Marriage, Divorce Records

The Register of Deeds office is currently CLOSED to the public due to COVID19.

Applications for vital records and land record documents for recording should be mailed to our physical address, found below.

The Vital Records Section of the Register of Deeds Office maintains copies of all birth, death, marriage, and divorce records for events that occur in Dane County. To obtain certified copies of any of these records, you will need to fill out an application form and pay a fee. Information about obtaining certified and uncertified copies is listed below.

We are able to issue certificates for all counties for these dates.

  • Birth-October 1, 1907 to present
  • Death-September 1, 2013 to present
  • Marriage-October 1, 1907 to present
  • Divorce-January 1, 2016 to present

If your event happened in a different county, and does not fall under these dates, please contact that county, or the Wisconsin Vital Records office at 608-266-1373.

How to Apply

You may apply for copies in person, through the mail, or online. There are different fees charged, application requirements, and turnaround times depending on how you apply:

Application Forms (in person and through the mail only)

Why doesn't my new name show on my marriage certificate?

Please note that your last name does not automatically change when you wed which is why the certificate you purchased from us still shows your last name prior to your recent marriage. If you wish to have your name changed you must take your certificate to the Social Security Administration office near you and then to your local DMV. You do not need to purchase a new certificate after that because our certificate will NEVER reflect your new last name.

Why is it a Felony to Make a Photocopy of a Birth, Death, Marriage, or Domestic Partnership Certificate?

The Attorney General stated in 78 Op. Att'y Gen. 232,233 (1989), "Section 69.24(1)(a) was enacted in apparent response to a substantial increase in the practice of obtaining and using false identification documents by manipulating the existing system. For example, it was easy for a person to procure a photocopy of a birth certificate from a source other than discussed in chapter 69. This certificate, which might be accurate or already altered, could be altered to provide a new identity or other erroneous identifying information��. The Legislature obviously determined that this evil and its consequences could only be prevented by a strict measure which makes copying per se a criminal violation unless done under the authority of subchapter I of chapter 69."

How Do I Make Changes to an Existing Record?

  • Birth Records
    Changes to existing Dane County birth records must be made through Wisconsin State Vital Records. Possible changes include: spelling and name changes, paternity judgments (adding the father), and numerical changes.
  • Marriage, Domestic Partnership, & Death Records
    Changes to existing Dane County marriage, domestic partnership, or death records made within 365 days of the event may be made through our office. All changes will require a signed amendment letter. Please contact our office at 608-267-8810 for more information.

    Changes to existing Dane County marriage, domestic partnership, or death records made 366 days or more after the event must be made through Wisconsin State Vital Records.

Information for Parents, Coaches and Schools

Instead of photocopying a child's birth certificate (see above) please ask the child's coach to use the following form.

Kristi Chlebowski
Register of Deeds

Office Address

City County Building Room 110 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Madison, WI 53703

Office Hours


Real Estate
Search Line

(608) 266-4144
8:00am - 12:00pm

Vital Records

(608) 266-4142

General Information

(608) 266-4141


Call Wisconsin Relay 711

Office Fax

(608) 267-3110

Mailing Address

PO Box 1438 Madison, WI 53701-1438